Strymon El Capistan dTape Delay Pedal
Strymon's El Capistan dTape delay uses cutting edge DSP design to perfectly emulate the sound and feel of vintage tape echo machines with a few modern features to enhance them as well.
- Hand crafted dTape algorithms deliver meticulous and nuanced recreations of tape echo systems
- Three tape machines in one with fixed, multi or single heads
- Each tape machine has three modes for extremely flexible echo options
- Sound on Sound mode with instant tape splice and bulk erase. A built-in tape-style looper!
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- Premium analogue front end and output section
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob parameter
- Read More
Strymon spent months studying traditional tape echo machines focusing on capturing the warm, saturated, distinctive qualities of tape echo machines. The result is their hand crafted dTape™ technology. El Capistan is fitted with a ridiculously powerful SHARC DSP to ensure every nuance of these machines is faithfully reproduced.
El Capistan provides three different tape machine types in one, each with three unique modes. With ten parameters to tweak, you get extensive control over tape quality, machine health and tone shaping. Go from the sound of a pristine, studio-quality tape machine to the heavily fluctuating sound of a machine in need of service. Get the full bodied sound of fresh tape all the way to the gnarled qualities of worn out tape. Because it's DSP driven, you get a range of tape experiences unattainable with a traditional tape machine. All of this without the headaches of tape machine maintenance and repair!
Sound on Sound
Just like analogue moving head tape echo machines, El Capistan gives you a Sound on Sound mode, but with some cool new features. When you enter the mode (Single Tape Head, Mode C), the machine is already recording, just like a traditional tape echo machine. Strymon have taken this several steps further by giving you instant tape splice and bulk erase functions. It's like having a built-in tape-style looper!
To set the length of your tape, press Tap once to set your splice 'in' point, and press Tap again to set your splice 'out' point. All of the tone shaping knobs are active and affect your loop as it plays back and re-records. Press Tap a third time to completely erase the tape. You get 20 seconds of tape in slow speed, 10 seconds in fast speed.