Sabian SABA1706 Artisan 17-inch Crash Cymbal (As New)
Artisan cymbals blend old-world cymbal-making with innovation.
- Hand hammered
- Dark, rich tone
- Fast Decay
- Thin weight
- Hand tested for quality control
- B20 bronze alloy
- Read More
Traditionally hand-hammered into shape and sound by Sabian craftsmen, Artisan cymbals also receive hand-guided large-peen hammering for extra dark, complex musicality.
- Sabian metallurgists combine measured amounts of copper, tin and silver to create centuries-old recipe for Sabian B20 bronze alloy
- Molten-hot B20 bronze is very carefully hand-poured into pots, and once cooled, yields already-musical B20 bronze castings
- B20 castings are meticulously hand-separated by weight and prepared to remove all impurities
- Castings are fed through a large rolling oven up to a dozen times, involving a crew of 5 men who must work with choreographic precision under intense heat
- During the entire rolling process, blanks must be rotated carefully to create a molecular weave for strength and durability
- As castings become cymbal blanks, custom-built machine tools are expertly hand-operated to press bells into blanks, drill holes in centre, cut down to size and bump for approximate shape
- Hand-hammering artisans shape and form each cymbal with 2,000 to 4,000 precision-placed hammer blows, adding musicality, complexity, and dark tone
- Lathe craftsmen operate specially retrofitted lathes, thinning cymbal to desired gauge while adding crucial tonal grooves
- Cymbal must be trimmed to exact size and the edges buffed for smoothness
- Each individual cymbal is hand-tested and hand-weighed in the Vault by Vault sound specialists, a critical process
- Each individual cymbal is placed on a shelf to age, allowing the frantically active molecules to slow down and stabilise
- Each individual cymbal is once again hand-tested by two Vault specialists to ensure they fit the parameters of the series and model
With 'high density' hand hammering, powerful, dark, rich tone, and fast decay the 17-inch crash is full of character.