Volta is the ground-breaking virtual instrument plug-in that lets you control modular synths and other CV-equipped gear from Digital Performer and other popular audio workstation software packages, such as Apple Logic Pro and Ableton Live. The very first product of its kind, Volta has created quite a stir among analogue synth enthusiasts since it was first announced a few months ago. Even if you've never used analogue gear before, but coveted that analogue sound, Volta could be just what you've been looking for.
Volta is a virtual instrument plug-in that turns your audio interface into a voltage control interface.
Any hardware device with a control voltage (CV) input can be placed under precise digital control from your favorite audio workstation software. You can play and automate modulars, analogue synths - even effects processors.
Imagine being able to play and automate your CV-equipped analogue gear from Digital Performer, Logic Pro, or Live with the same level of control, precision and convenience as a virtual instrument.
Here are just a few examples of what you can do with Volta:
• Perform MIDI sequencing with external modular synths with sample-accurate precision (if your host sequencer supports sample-accurate MIDI).
• Automatically calibrate and tune oscillators with the click of a button.
• Use ramp automation in your host audio software to control filters, envelope generators, effects processors and other voltage-controlled external gear.
• Apply LFOs, step sequencers and pattern sequencers to CV inputs and tempo-sync them to your host software timeline.
Whether you're a seasoned modular synthesizer devotee or simply a computer-based studio owner dreaming of adding that rich, coveted sound only true analogue synths can deliver, Volta finally enables you to easily incorporate CV-equipped analogue gear into your computer-based studio with all the control, precision and convenience of a virtual instrument.
Volta feature highlights
• Standard virtual instrument plug-in that turns an audio interface with DC-coupled outputs into a voltage control interface.
• Lets you control external modular synths or other CV-equipped gear from your computer.
• Works with Digital Performer, Logic Pro, Live and other Audio Unit instrument hosts that support side chain outputs.
• Works with any MOTU audio interface equipped with TRS outputs, including the 24io with 24 TRS outputs, expandable to 96.
• Familiar, easy-to-use instrument plug-in operation within your favorite host software.
• Provides 24 control outputs per plug-in instance. Use as many instances as needed.
• Converts MIDI track data to control voltages to play modulars, analogue synthesizers and other CV-equipped sound sources.
• Sample-accurate MIDI playback with supporting host software (such as DP).
• Provides seven different control source types, including MIDI notes, MIDI controller data and audio track automation, plus tempo-synced sources such as LFOs, clock pulses and trigger/pattern sequencers.
• Provides one-click pitch and octave calibration per oscillator using either Hz/V or V/oct tuning standards.
• View at a glance the total calibrated range for each oscillator/interface combination.
• Sync multiple drum machines, arpeggiators and other clock destinations with independent PPQ resolution for each device.
• Mac OS X (version 10.4 or later)
• An audio sequencer software package that hosts MAS or Audio Unit (AU) instrument plug-ins and supports multiple instrument sidechain outputs, such as Digital Performer, Logic, or Ableton Live.
• An audio interface with DC-coupled outputs, such as any MOTU FireWire, USB2, or PCI audio interface with quarter-inch TRS outputs.
• The proper cable type for your interface.
• External audio hardware that responds to control voltage signals, such as modular analogue synthesizers, vintage monosynths, etc.
• A free USB port for the iLok USB key. Note that if you have multiple products which use iLoks for authorization you can consolidate multiple authorizations onto a single iLok