So, you're new to the world of computer music and audio recording are you? And you're looking to invest in an audio interface, or simply wondering what one is, and why you might need one? Well my friend, you have come to the right place! In fact, I remember being majorly confused about this whole subject when I first became interested in music production in the hazy days of my early teenage years! So if you're just as confused as I was and want to learn more, then you'd better put seatbelts on your ears, because I'm about to take them for the ride of their lives! Our handy guide helps you choose the audio interface that is best for you, and also explains terms such as 'sample rate', 'bit depth' and 'latency'.
1. Introduction and Contents
2. What Is An Audio Interface?
3. Why do I Need One?
4. What Causes Latency and Why is it an Issue?
5. Buying an Audio Interface - First Steps
6. If You Are Not Going to be Recording...
7. How May Inputs Will I Need?
8. How May Outputs Will I Need?
9. Recording Quality - Bit Depth and Sample Rate
10. Will I Need to Route MIDI Through The Interface?
11. Firewire or USB?
12. Audio Interfaces for Digital DJs
13. Audio Interfaces for Live Mixing
14. The Look
16. Extending the Functionality