In the build up to the yearly NAMM trade show, BOSS have announced the new Katana Air - the world’s first entirely wireless guitar amp.
Since their release, the BOSS Katana guitar amps have been selling by the bucket load, and it’s no big surprise. They are fantastic sounding guitar amps and are priced well below their quality bracket. So how can BOSS top that? By making them wireless! Introducing the new BOSS Katana Air...
BOSS have developed a whole new low-latency wireless system and built it into a transmitter that plugs into any electric guitar, sending signal to the receiver that is built into the amp. Alongside the receiver, the amplifier also houses connectivity for bluetooth audio streaming and the ability to edit tones and effects from the BOSS Tone Studio smartphone app. All this allows the user to play along with their favourite songs and backing tracks without a single cable in sight (it can also run on batteries, for a truly cable-less experience).
All this having been said, if you wish to plug in using a standard jack cable - you can. There is also a standard aux-in port and a headphones socket.
The rear panel of the Katana Air
Make no mistake, this is not a gimmick release, the BOSS Katana Air is a serious bit of kit offering serious tones. It utilises the same sound-shaping functionality as the Katana version 2 amps that have proved to be so popular on our guitar floor with players of all abilities and styles. The BOSS Katana Air offers up a wide range of sounds through 5 channels, from sparkling clean to BOSS’s custom high-gain Brown sound. There’s also integrated access to over 50 BOSS effects, plus six memories for storing favorite amp and effects setups.
The BOSS Katana Air is a true stereo amplifier with two specially designed speakers and up to 30 watts of total power, offering big, rich sound for both guitar amplification and full-range music reproduction. A convenient docking port in the amp charges the battery in the wireless transmitter, providing up to 12 hours of continuous playing time per full charge.
If the other models in the Katana range are anything to go by then these new wireless amps will be flying out the door so make sure you get yours ordered as soon as you can! You can do so by clicking here.
- Totally wireless guitar amplifier that delivers rock-solid sound with ultra-low latency
- Custom wireless transmitter plugs into any electric guitar and charges while docked in the amp
- Transmitter provides 12 hours of playing time on a single charge
- Premium tones derived from the Katana stage amplifier series
- Includes five unique amp characters and access to over 50 world-class BOSS effects
- Six onboard memories for storing favourite amp and effects setups
- Powerful stereo speaker system with full-range sound and up to 30 watts of power*
- Edit and organise tones wirelessly with the BOSS Tone Studio app
- Play along with music streamed wirelessly from a mobile device via Bluetooth
- Amplifier powered by eight AA-size batteries or included AC adapter
- Aux in for connecting wired devices, plus headphones/recording out for silent practice and music production
BOSS Katana Air features at a glance:
*The Katana-Air produces 30 watts of power when connected to AC, and 20 watts of power when running on batteries.