Call Us: 01202 597180
We're open: Monday - Saturday 10am - 6pm
Sundays and Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm.

Monthly Archives: April 2011

• KENNY LARKIN & THE NOVATION LAUNCHPAD

Posted on April 28, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

Kenny Larkin is one of the most influential producers in the Detroit Techno scene. His string of releases and headline DJ performances throughout the ‘90s and into the 21st century propelled him to a position as one of the most prolific producers and remix artists of the scene. Kenny has also released material under the moniker Dark Matter and has put out records on Plus 8, Transmat and more recently Rush Hour Recordings and Planet E. He travels extensively, DJing in Europe and Asia as well as America. At last year's Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE), Kenny sat on the "25 years of Detroit Techno" panel with Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig and more...
    Continue Reading

This post was posted in DJ Gear, Product News

• FOCUSRITE CONTROL 2802 PREVIEW

Posted on April 28, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

The Focusrite Control 2802 sounds like something very special… a small analogue recording console and a DAW control surface all built into one. This description immediately draws me in, as it is exactly the sort of product that I would like in my studio. Why? Because I’m greedy and crave the best of both worlds! I want the flexibility of a digital control surface, allowing me to easily manipulate my plug-ins, effects, and DAW controls, but I also think that there is something extremely refreshing about being able to perform a true analogue mix on your recordings! So, although I haven’t been lucky enough to use the Focusrite Control 2802 yet, I wanted to find out more about it for myself, and thought I may as well let you in on my findings in the process!

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Live Sound and Light, Product Previews and was tagged with analogue, focusrite, mixer

• LINE 6 M5 STOMPBOX MODELER

Posted on April 21, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

In this blog entry I am going to take a quick look at a completely NEW product, the Line 6 M5 Stompbox. Before I begin I want to make it clear that in this particular blog post I haven’t actually had the opportunity to use the M5 Stompbox yet… but I wanted to bring you up to speed about what you can expect from the little brother of the brilliant M9 and M13…

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Guitars, Product Previews and was tagged with effects, guitar, line 6

• APOGEE DUET 2 REVIEW

Posted on April 21, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

Apogee Duet 2The Apogee Duet 2 is a 2 Input / 4 Output USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac, which improves on arguably the most popular portable audio interface ever, the Apogee Duet (if you couldn’t guess!) With new advanced features, improved performance, and a better sound quality, the Apogee Duet 2 could well become your home studio’s new best friend!

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Computer Music, In-Depth Reviews, Recording and was tagged with apogee, duet 2, interface

• KORG SV-1 88 - CUSTOMER REVIEW

Posted on April 20, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

Last month, one of our customers, Tim Hender, submitted a fairly in-depth review of the Korg SV-1 88... in fact it seemed so in-depth that we decided it was worthy of a blog post of it's own, so with his permission, here it is!

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, In-Depth Reviews, Keyboards & Synths and was tagged with Korg, piano, stage, sv-1, synth

• ROLAND JUPITER-80 PREVIEW

Posted on April 15, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

The Roland Jupiter-8 is perhaps my favourite synthesiser of all time! If you listen to some of the demonstrations on Youtube then you will understand why. It just produces such a beautiful, warm and distinctive analogue sound, and it can create a huge variety of different timbres from dynamic pads to in-your-face basses. It provides you with that real 80’s sound, and has been used on a countless number of hit records by artists ranging from ABBA to the Prodigy, from Michael Jackson to Jean Michel Jarre and Enya, and it is even a popular instrument today (despite being introduced in 1981, featuring no MIDI connectivity, and later being discontinued), with artists such as Lady GaGa and Alicia Keys making use of it’s great flexibility. And just to prove how massively popular this instrument is, I just checked on ebay and there was a second hand one going for £4,500! That's more than most brand new synths!

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Keyboards & Synths, Product Previews and was tagged with roland, synth, synthesiser

• ABLETON LIVE 8

Posted on April 15, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

If you’re looking for a creative DAW program that you can use for mixing, recording and composition but also perform with live, then Ableton Live 8 is for you…

Forgive us for stating the obvious but the clue is in the name: that word ‘Live’ is the absolute key to Ableton Live 8 and its bigger brother Ableton Live Suite, but if only it were that easy and quick to sum up. To get to the bottom of what Ableton Live is all about, we’re going to need to delve a little bit deeper…

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Computer Music, Magazine, Product Previews and was tagged with ableton, daw, intro, Live, live 8, software, suite

• MACKIE ONYX BLACKJACK REVIEW

Posted on April 14, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

Remember those little black liquorice flavoured chewy sweets that used to be available for a penny from your local corner shop? They were the ones you used to buy as a kid as a last resort if all the Fruit Salads and Apple flavoured ones had run out, and they turned your tongue, teeth and gums a dark black/purple colour so your mum could always tell that you had blown your pocket money on junk yet again! They were called Blackjacks as well, and as far as I’m aware they still make them… although of course their price has now risen, and they don’t feature that little sweetie-man cartoon on the paper! Well, yeah, not too sure where I was going with that… just went into reminisce mode and started writing… never a good idea! But I guess you’re more interested in learning about the Mackie Onyx Blackjack rather than retro sweets? So that’s what I’ll fill you in on… although if anyone else wants to join my nostalgic look back at sugary treats from the past, feel free to post your suggestions as a comment at the bottom of this blog (anyone for Nerds, Runts or Opal Fruits? Or this advert....)

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Computer Music, In-Depth Reviews, Recording and was tagged with audio, interface, mackie, onyx

• SPRING FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE PRICES

Posted on April 14, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
    The weather's getting warmer, the birds are singing, and the flowers are coming out! Spring is here! And to celebrate, Focusrite are dropping their prices on some of their professional Saffire Firewire interfaces for a limited period...

So here is a list of the awesome deals you can pick up from Absolute Music:

• The Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 is now only £189.99 (usually £199)
    • The Fousrite Saffire Pro 24 is now only £219.99 (usually £249.99)
    • The Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP is now an amazing £249.99 (usually £299.99)

This offer is due to run for 3 months, while stocks last, so hurry up, and grab yourself a quality Focusrite Firewire interface today! Don't miss out on these amazing prices!
    Continue Reading

This post was posted in Computer Music, Offers, Product News and was tagged with firewire, focusrite, interface

• KORG WAVEDRUM MINI PREVIEW

Posted on April 13, 2011 by Joe Stachowiak

I’ve got to say that Korg are really on a roll at the moment! At NAMM 2011 they brought out the Kronos, which in my opinion blew all the other products out of the water (with the exception of the Dave Smith Instruments Tempest, which I also thought was REALLY cool)! And now at MusikMesse, they seem to be following a similar trend! Of course, they’ve not done anything in the same monstrous league as the mighty Kronos, but once again they have released some of (if not THE) most exciting products of the show! I thought the Monotribe was a brilliant little idea! It’s not one of those products that is going to change the scene, but it does offer something a little bit different and unique compared to what is currently on the market, and it also sounds great, which always helps! Click here to read my Korg Monotribe review.

Continue Reading

This post was posted in Blog entries, Drums, Product Previews and was tagged with drum, Korg, mini, wavedrum

Displaying items 1 to 10 of 21